It’s true eating guava has many health benefits. Guava benefits your digestive health. It is rich in antioxidants, vitamin c, potassium, and fiber. It is an excellent fruit for diabetes, to reduce bad cholesterol, manage menstrual cramps, constipation, and helps you with your weight loss goals.
Benefits of Eating Guava
Guava is a traditional remedy for a number of ailments. Preliminary research suggests that compounds in guava leaf extract may have a positive effect on a range of illnesses and symptoms, including constipation, menstrual cramps, diarrhea, the flu, type 2 diabetes, and cancer.
- Guavas shows improved blood sugar levels, long-term blood sugar control, and insulin resistance.
- Guava fruit or leaf extract lowers blood pressure, decreases bad cholesterol, increases good cholesterol and this shows a positive effect on heart health.
- Taking guava leaf extract daily may help decrease symptoms of painful menstruation, including cramps.
- Guavas are full of fiber and low in calories, which supports satiety and gastrointestinal health. Also may help you in weight loss.
- Guava is beneficial in the treatment of diarrhea as the fruit inhibits microbial growth, releases excessive mucous from the intestine thereby helps to bind loose stools. The fruits are alkaline in nature that prevent the growth of bacteria and having disinfectant properties.
- The high levels of antioxidants in guava may help prevent the development and growth of cancer cells.
- Guavas are one of the richest food sources of vitamin C. Eating a guava everyday helps you maintain a healthy immune system and protects your body against infections and illness. Find out the Top Ten Highest Sources of Vitamin C
- Guava contains folate, which supports healthy cell growth and function.
- Guava contains potassium, which regulates fluid balance, muscle contraction, and nerve signals.
- Guava is good for your skin. The antioxidants and vitamins in guavas can help slow down the aging of your skin, while guava leaf extract may help treat acne.
- Eating guava benefits your hair. The antioxidants in guava leaves can fight free radicals, thereby preventing hair damage. Guava leaves, have the ability to stop hair loss and make it grow back with vigour. The analgesic, antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties present in guava leaves can help to maintain optimum scalp health and treat dandruff. It also helps to blacken the white hair.
Can Guava be eaten empty stomach?
One serving of guava in a day is safe for consumption.
Guava must be eaten at any time except on an empty stomach. This goes for bananas too. This is because, if your body needs to reap the benefits of these fruits, there must be some food in your stomach for it to digest and mix along with. Also, keep in mind that this must be consumed 30 minutes after you finish eating.
You can have the fruit between two meals, or before or after a workout to refuel your body. Avoid having fruit at night as it may lead to cold and cough.
Health Tip: Avoid or refrain from having water after eating fruits because it hinders the absorption and digestion process in the stomach leading to acidity. This is why some people experience uneasiness after consuming fruit.
Medical Journal Refrences: