Curd is your desi alternative and perfect home remedy to treat urinary tract infections (UTI). Eating a bowl of curd every day not only cures UTIs but also prevents them. Lactobacilli bacteria in curd reduce the effect of UTIs. People, suffering from frequent UTIs, must include curd in their diet.
Ayurveda Perspective on UTI and How Curd Cures UTI
AYURVEDA considers every disease due to vitiation of 3 doshas(Vata, Pitta, Kapha).
Due to wrong diet and lifestyle your doshas get vitiated which travels to the kidney and bladder makes them inflamed. Vata make dryness in bladder, pitta do inflammation and kapha do itching and heaviness in lower abdomen. That’s how UTI takes place.
Ayurveda does not recommend antibiotics, which also kill the beneficial gut bacteria along with the harmful bacteria. And hence, including curd or yoghurt, a natural probiotic, which contains natural antibiotic, is recommended. Curd helps in maintaining the intestinal flora in addition to killing the harmful bacteria.
When a woman suffers from UTI, she may feel a burning sensation while they urinate. Having a bowl of curd with sugar or gulkand in the morning is a good way to reduce this burning sensation. Curd and gulukand, both helps in keeping your bladder cool.
Fermented Milk Products Cures UTI
Ayurveda recommends eating a bowl of curd every day to deal with UTI and keep UTI at bay. Also, consumption of fermented milk products or fermented dairy products (like curd, buttermilk, lassi, kefir, cheese, sour cream, curd rice), more than three times a week helps in relieving the symptoms of UTI. Apart from this, make sure you drink at least eight glasses of water a day to flush the harmful toxins and hence, hasten the treatment of UTI and also prevent the recurrence of UTI.
Here are Urinary Tract Infection Ayurveda Home Remedies
Other Benefits of Consuming Curd Everyday
Curd (Dahi) Benefits
- Provides stronger immunity: The live active cultures help in fighting disease-causing germs.
- Prevents vaginal infections: In women, the benefits of eating curd include inhibition of yeast infection growth. It restores the yeast balance of the vagina due to the lactobacillus bacteria in the curd.
- Makes digestion better: Curd is a natural probiotic, benefits gut health. It also calms down an inflamed or upset stomach.
- Helps lose weight: Consuming curd is good for weight loss. It inhibits the growth of steroid hormones or cortisol, thereby controlling the risk of obesity.
- Controls high blood pressure: The magnesium content in curd is ideal for reducing high blood pressure.
Note: Curd rice improves microbial balance due to the antioxidant and probiotic content in curd. An improved microbial balance further aids in digestion. Learn more about the Fermented Curd Rice is a Super Powerful Probiotic.
Some of the Dietary & Lifestyle tips to Cure UTI
- Avoid junk, deep fried, spicy food
- Drink plenty of water.
- Drink coriander and fennel water.
- You can drink chaach(buttermilk) or lassi added with a pinch of dhania and jeera powder
- Drink coconut water.
- Avoid incompatible food. (Know more about Bad Food Combinations that Cause Inflammation).
- Eat light, fresh and homemade food.
- Prebiotic and Probiotic are important so consume fresh curd in moderate amount as curd is heavy to digest.
- Eat immunobooster food which are rich in vit c and zinc like Amla, oranges, brown rice, broccoli. (You may also check Top Ten Highest Sources of Vitamin C)
- Do some physical activities on daily basis to have a healthy digestive fire.
- Do some yogasanas, pranayam and meditation to destress yourself.
- Go outside and Get some Vitamin D to boost your immunity as Vitamin D is very important for immunity.
Ayurvedic Medicines to Help with UTI
- Punarnavarishta – It will detoxify your kidney and renew every cell and tissue.
- Gokshuradi guggul– It will pacify vata and kapha dosha.
- Chandanasava– It will pacify Pitta dosha and give cooling effects.
- Chandraprabha vati – It balances your tridosha and rejuvenate your system with its best quality.
- Triphala for gut health.