Healthy aging is a continuous process of choosing healthy habits to maintain and improve physical and mental health, and quality of life throughout the life course.
Quality of life depends on multiple factors, depending on the individual, but having access to good healthcare, clean and safe housing, healthy food, timely savings, financial independence, good network of friends and family, will improve one’s quality of living.
The quality of life in the latter half of your life is based on how you lived your first half. To be active and healthy you need to adopt healthy habits and choices as part of your lifestyle to prepare yourself for the golden years.
No doubt due to medical advancements old persons are living longer, but there are precautions to be taken for a more fulfilled and productive life.
After 40, you need to prepare for your life ahead.
Things to be watchful for and habits to be inculcated:
- Daily Exercise Routine
- Strength Exercises Twice a Week
- Healthy Plant-based Nourishing Food
- Stress Management
- Nutrition Supplements for the Deficiency and Lifestyle Issues that can occur.
- Social Connect: Surround yourself with positive, energetic people
- Build Closed Friends and Family Network
- Find Reasons to be Happy
- Adopt a Hobby
- Be Mindful
- Get Simple and Healthy in Your Eating Habits
- Choose to eat more homemade food
- Don’t follow any fad diets
- Undergo regular health check-ups
- Stay involved in activities
- Participate in family life
- Secure yourself financially, Plan your medical expenses
- Challenge the body and mind by learning new things
- Make some friends who are younger – even if by a few decades to be always young and stimulating.
- Don’t become dependent but become resourceful.
- Don’t expect just give. Be self-sufficient.
Tips on Staying Active & Healthy
- Take time to exercise daily to build stamina and muscles and to stay active.
- Do meditation daily to keep your mind at peace.
- Be mindful and practice self-love and gratitude.
- Eat healthy wholesome food that includes your daily dose of fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, and low-fat dairy foods. Plant Based Diet is a Holistic Lifestyle
- Take your recommended amounts of calcium, magnesium, and vitamin supplements daily for your body to perform at optimum levels.
- Participate in regular weight-training exercises to prevent muscle loss, delay (or even prevent) cognitive decline, which is a common result of aging. Moreover, an active lifestyle develops better coping mechanisms towards age-related issues.
- Maintain healthy body weight to avoid lifestyle issues related to Obesity like fatigue, joint or muscle pain, and depression. Also susceptibility to Heart disease and stroke, High blood pressure, Diabetes, Gallbladder disease, and gallstones.
- Avoid smoking and excessive alcohol.
- Maintain hygiene and cleanliness.
- Take care of your eyes.
- Focus on your gut health. Learn about the Gut Cleanse Detox | Ayurvedic Cleansing(Panchakarma)
Important Ayurveda Remedies for Aging
- Take Triphala daily as it is beneficial for your health. Takes care of your digestive health. It contains powerful anti-inflammatory compounds that may help protect against certain cancers and other chronic diseases. Studies have shown that it may help treat constipation, resolve dental issues and promote weight loss.
- Ashwagandha is one of the most important herbs in Ayurveda, which is a traditional form of alternative medicine based on Indian principles of natural healing. People have used ashwagandha for thousands of years to relieve stress, increase energy levels, and improve concentration. Ashwagandha may also help reduce symptoms of depression and benefit people with some mental health conditions.
- Shatavari is a female-friendly herb. Like ashwagandha, it is also an adaptogenic herb, which means it may increase your ability to withstand physical and psychological stress. Shatavari can be extremely beneficial for women’s reproductive health throughout all stages of their life. It is also beneficial for menopausal symptoms. It helps counter the hot flashes, dry symptoms of menopause as well as boost libido.
- Ginseng, potent antioxidant that may reduce inflammation. Gives feelings of calmness and mood in both healthy people and those with Alzheimer’s disease. Ginseng may improve symptoms of erectile dysfunction by decreasing oxidative stress in tissues and enhancing blood flow in penile muscles. Also, strengthen the immune system.
Remember: Aging Means Awakening to New Way of Life
Aging is about living with true purpose. Life is not about how many things we have collected or how much money we’ve accumulated, what counts is how many of our talents we have liberated and used for a purpose that adds value to the world. At the end what truly matters is how many hearts we have touched and what legacy of memories we have left. read more