Oil Pulling-Ancient Ayurveda Remedy- improves your Oral Health and Gets you a Healthy Smile! Oil pulling whitens your teeth, freshens your breath and greatly improves your oral health.
Oil pulling involves swishing oil around the mouth, using it like a mouthwash.
How to Do Oil Pulling as per Ayurveda
- In order to oil pull, you put a tablespoon of extra virgin coconut oil in your mouth, then swish it around for 15–20 minutes.
- The main benefit of doing this is that it reduces the amount of harmful bacteria in the mouth.
- There are hundreds of different types of bacteria in your mouth. While many of them are friendly, others are not.
- The bacteria in your mouth create a biofilm on your teeth, a thin layer known as plaque.
- Having some plaque on your teeth is perfectly normal, but if it gets out of hand, it can cause various problems, including bad breath, gum inflammation, gingivitis and cavities.
- The way oil pulling works is simple — when you swish the oil around your mouth, the bacteria get swept away and dissolve in the liquid oil.
- Oil pulling should work with pretty much any oil, but extra-virgin coconut oil is a popular choice due to its pleasant taste.
- It also has a favorable fatty acid profile, containing high amounts of lauric acid, which has antimicrobial properties.
Benefits of Oil Pulling with Coconut Oil
- Using coconut oil as a mouthwash can significantly reduce the number of harmful bacteria, such as S. mutans, in your mouth.
- Oil pulling with coconut oil may help reduce inflammation of the gums, also known as gingivitis.
- Some evidence suggests oil pulling with sesame oil reduces bad breath. Coconut oil may have the same effect.
Oil pulling is simple. Put one tablespoon of oil in your mouth, swish it around for 15–20 minutes and spit it out. Then rinse with water and brush your teeth.
You may also be interested to read: An Ayurvedic Guide to Tongue Cleaning
You must log in to post a comment.