Cumin is a digestive spice, rich in iron and has many health benefits. It potentially speeds up metabolism, has anti-oxidant properties and is very good to be consumed daily. It prevents food-borne illnesses.
Cumin, a spice made from the seeds of the Cuminum cyminum plant also known as “Jeeraka” in Sanskrit. It has hot potency, that stimulates the digestive fire, and promotes digestion.
As per Ayurveda, accumulation of gas or bloating, a Vata disorder, impairs digestive fire. Adding this spice to your daily diet pacifies Vata and thus helps to reduce gas.
Cumin Health Benefits
- In fever use jeera along with jaggery to improve appetite, cleanse the bowel, and relieve burning sensation.
- Cumin powder added to homemade curd treats diarrhea, helps reduce “bad” (LDL) cholesterol and triglycerides while increasing “good” (HDL) cholesterol.
- Bathing with cumin decoction cures itching.
- Chewing a pinch-full of raw cumin seeds gives immediate relief from acidity.
- Cumin seeds have antiseptic properties and aids in curing common colds.
- Adding jeera to your diet helps in increasing bowel movement and keeps the stomach healthy. Cumin seeds stimulate the digestive enzymes which reduce bloating.
- Jeera/Cumin Water helps to break down complex nutrients like proteins, fat, and sugar to keep your gut healthy. Drinking regularly aids in healthy digestion.
- Brewing a cup of cumin tea before going to bed helps in good sleep. All you have to do is roast one teaspoon of cumin seed and then add a cup of hot boiling water and drink sip by sip.
- Cumin water maintains blood pressure so have a glass of Jeera water every day as it is rich in potassium which helps in regulating fluid and electrolyte balance in the body thereby maintaining blood pressure.
Dose: 3-6gms once or twice after food. It can be taken along with hot water or honey or even with ghee. (as per Ayurveda, always dry roast Cumin)
Use cumin every day in cooking in the form of stews, gravy, soup, marinades to boost the aromatic character of a dish and to reap the health benefits. Cumin is an essential spice for Indian curries and chutneys.
Try the Morning Weight Loss Drink to Lose 5 Kgs In 5 Days
You must log in to post a comment.