Papaya for Dogs
You love fruits and you want to treat your dog with fruits. You are for long thinking about giving tropical fruit like papaya but not sure.
Well Papaya is delicious. It is juicy. You love it and so will your dog. After all, our dogs want to eat what we are eating, and papaya is certainly better than ice cream or potato chips as a snack or treat.
Is Papaya Good for Your Dog?
Papayas are a healthy treat for canines loaded with many minerals, vitamins, antioxidants, fiber and healthy fats. All of these components are helpful for your dog’s health.
Just chop the fruit into large pieces before serving it to your dog. Just be careful with seeds as that can cause intestinal blockage, and the seeds contain trace amounts of cyanide.
If you feed papaya in moderation, your dog will not have an adverse effect. Test your dog by giving a small piece. Watch your dog to see if it likes it or if it has any adverse effects from fruit. If your dog likes the flavor then go ahead.
Benefits of Papaya for Dogs
Benefits of papaya for your dogs include the vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that are in the fruit. It is low in calories and high in fiber. It can help your dog to clear the digestive system if given in moderation. It can help to prevent cardiac diseases as well. All those vitamins and minerals can’t hurt, that’s for sure.
- Minerals potassium, magnesium, folate, calcium – positive for your dog’s healthy growth.
- Vitamins K, C, E, A help prevent atherosclerosis and strengthening of the immune system. Increases energy.
- Antioxidants – immune strength.
- Fiber – Papaya has a good amount of fiber that can help your dog’s digestive tract to do its job. Your dog will feel full from the fiber so it can prevent obesity. Papaya is recommended if your dog has a stomach ache or heartburn. It can be beneficial if your dog has any gastrointestinal issues that are minor. It can also help to prevent bloating. Anything serious, you should see your vet. If your dog has ongoing minor digestive issues, give a few bites of papaya every day.
Feeding papaya to your dogs is not without its perils. There are some potential problems that can occur. These include:
- Allergies – a dog can have an allergic reaction at any time. Skin problems or itching can occur, loose stools, even vomiting. It can be different for different dogs.
- Seeds – like the seeds of most fruits, papaya seeds can be toxic to dogs. Do not let them swallow the seeds. They can also cause intestinal blockage.
- Peel and Leaves – may be poisonous because of the parasites and pesticides that may be on them that your dog would digest. The peel is also very difficult for your dog to digest.
- Limit amounts – too much at any one time can cause your dog to have intestinal issues, loose stools, digestive issues, and diarrhea. So, you shouldn’t give more than four slices per day depending on the size of your dog.
So now you know that your dog can eat papaya so just don’t overdo it but do enjoy a healthy snack with your canine friend.
You may like to read: Fruits and Vegetables Your Pet Can Safely Eat