Shilajit has numerous health benefits. It is one of the most impeccable tonifying and rejuvenating herbal rasayna that can function as an antioxidant to improve your body’s immunity and memory, an anti-inflammatory, an energy booster, a strong detoxifier, an incredible builder of muscle and tissues. It makes the body strong, disease-free and grants longevity to the human body.
“Shilajit is one of the most impeccable tonifying and rejuvenating herbal rasayna that possesses great curative powers and is considered capable of treating many diseases, particularly those of the aging process. Shilajit is unique in being a strong detoxifier yet an incredible builder of muscle and tissues. This treasure of healing is the best for the kidneys and urinary system. It’s remarkable effects even go so far as to dissolve gallstones and kidney stones.”
Shilajit: Conqueror of Mountains & Destroyer of Weakness
The fascinating herbo-mineral substance known as shilajit has profound effects on the physical body and mind including the capability of life expansion. This thick, blackish-brown, sticky substance is made from plants and organic matter that have been trapped by many layers of rocks over millions of years in the areas surrounding India, China, Tibet, Nepal, Pakistan, Central Asia and Scandinavia.
There are four different types of Shilajit:
- Copper (Tamra) that is blue in color,
- Silver (Rajat) which is white in color,
- Gold (Sauvarna) that is red in color,
- and Iron (Lauha) which is blackish brown in color and is the kind that is used for healing.
Shilajit is one of the most impeccable tonifying and rejuvenating herbal remedies that exist, which is why Shilajit is referred to as the conqueror of mountains and destroyer of weakness.
It states in the Charaka Samhita, “There is no curable disease in the universe which is not effectively cured by silajatu when administered at the appropriate time, in combination with suitable drugs and by adopting the prescribed method. When administered to a healthy person, with similar conditions it produces immense energy.”
Shilajit is considered the best therapeutic and Rasayan agent. It makes the body strong, disease-free and grants longevity to the human body. Shilajit among all the different herbs and herbo-mineral preparations, has unique properties. It exhibits beneficial properties of all minerals, metals and gems taken together, as described in the Ayurvedic materia medica, with its anti-aging and salvation properties.
Some of the Shilajit benefits are:
- Promotes life, maintains positive health, preserves youth
- Cures morbid sleep, drowsiness, physical as well as mental fatigue, laziness and weakness.
- Maintains proper balance among vata, kapha and pitta; it produces stability.
- Cures slothness of the muscles
- Stimulates the enzymes responsible for digestion and metabolism and brings about excellence in luster, complexion as well as voice.
- Charaka Samhita goes on to say that shilajit mixed with iron and taken with milk is an elixir for long life and happiness. It promotes wealth, memory, and intellect while producing sturdiness of the body and preventing diseases and the ageing process.
- Shilajit may prevent or slow the progression of Alzheimer’s.
- It is used to enhance fertility and sexual function.
- It is also known traditionally as a conqueror of a set of 20 different urinary disorders known as ‘Prameha’. This includes modern day diabetes.
- Externally it acts as an antiseptic, analgesic, deobstruent (removes obstructions in the body by aiding the opening of ducts) and germicide.
- Shilajit is known for its ability to rejuvenate a cell by driving oxygen and nutrients into the cell and supporting the body’s natural antioxidant activity, whereby the body rids itself of free radicals.
- Shilajit is given along with milk to control diabetes.
- To treat fractures shilajit is prescribed along with Commiphora wightii (guggulu). It is believed that it promotes the formation of callus.
Synergistic herbs with this resin are: ashwagandha (sometimes spelled ashwaganda) and amalaki. When added in small amounts to a shilajit formula, these herbs naturally enhance and maximize shilajit’s boons.
Shilajit Side Effects
Although this herb is natural and safe, you shouldn’t consume raw or unprocessed shilajit. Raw shilajit may contain heavy metal ions, free radicals, fungus, and other contaminations that can make you sick. Whether you purchase online or from a natural or health food store, make sure shilajit is purified and ready for use.
Because this is considered an herbal approach to health, shilajit isn’t monitored for quality, purity, or strength by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Carefully research your options of where to purchase it and choose a reputable source.
Don’t take shilajit if you have sickle cell anemia, hemochromatosis (too much iron in your blood), or thalassemia. It’s possible to be allergic to this supplement. Stop taking shilajit if you develop rash, increased heart rate, or dizziness.