|Health Benefits of Lemon Peel|
Lemon is is one of the essential foods which are acidic to the taste, but are alkaline forming in the body. In fact they are one of the most alkaline forming foods; this makes them great for balancing a highly acidic condition in the body.
Benefits of Lemon Peels
- Boost Immunity and Digestion
Lemon peel contains essential nutrients including vitamin C which allow the body to resist infections as well as the subsequent ailments. Because of this, eating lemon peel is considered a good method for treating sore throat, flu, cold and similar infections. It can also help boost healthy digestion due to its dietary fiber that encourages healthy bowel movements.
- Improves Bone Health
Lemon peels help in improving bone health. It contains a high amount of calcium and vitamin C, which help in maintaining and improving the health of bones. Lemon peel also helps in preventing bone related diseases likes osteoporosis, rheumatoid arthritis and inflammatory polyarthritis.
- Treats Oxidative Stress
They helps in reducing oxidative stress. Lemon peels have high amounts of citrus bio-flavonoids, which are a very powerful source for the reduction of Oxidative stress from your body.
- Eradicates Toxins:
There are toxic elements present in our body which not only make us weak from within but also increase the addiction to hard drinks and other harmful eatables. Lemon peels, because of its citrus bioflavonoids content, help in eradicating these toxic elements present in our body.
- Fights Cancer:
Hardly people know, but Lemon peels are also used in the prevention and treatment of cancer. It contains salvestrol Q40 and limonene, which help in fighting the cancerous cells present in the body.
- Reduces Cholesterol
These are also helpful in decreasing the cholesterol levels in the body which results in maintaining good health of our hearts. This is due to the presence of polyphenol flavonoids in lemon peels.
- Boost Metabolism and Reduce Weight
- Boost Immunity and Digestion
One of the elements in lemon peel is pectin which has been shown to help in weight loss. This substance has some properties that will convert it into a jelly which prevents your body from absorbing excessive quantities of sugar, helping maintain your weight.
- Prevents Heart Related Conditions:
The presence of potassium in lemon peels help in maintaining the right blood pressure in our body. And in addition to this, lemon peels also help in prevention of heart diseases, heart attacks and diabetes.
- Maintains Oral Health & Hygiene:
Lemon peels are also great for oral health and hygiene. Vitamin C deficiency results in teeth related problems like bleeding gums, scurvy and gingivitis. Lemon peels are rich in citric acid which helps in covering up for the deficiency of vitamin C and helps in fighting these known teeth and gum related problems.
- Wash Properly and Go OrganicYou must wash lemon peel before eating it as pesticides or insecticides may have been used during the growing process. Lemons that have been shipped great distances may contain a wax coating that prevents damage but it can be made using animal, plant or insect based products. Therefore, it is best to opt for organically grown peels.
- Be Aware Of CrystallizationLemon peels contain a high amount of oxalates which are found in humans. When we have high concentrations of oxalates it can lead to problems which are associated with crystallization such as kidney or gallbladder stones. Therefore if you already suffer from these problems, avoid eating lemon peel.
- Pure lemon juice contains acid which is harmful to teeth enamel. Always dilute with water before taking it.
- Lemon Peels Keep Insects Out –Add some lemon peels along windowsills, on thresholds and near any cracks or holes where ants or pests may be entering. Many pests abhor the acid in lemon, so this would work great, you should try it!
- Lemon Peels Act as a Good Skin Tonic- Very lightly rub on your face then rinse with lukewarm water. (And be careful around your eyes.)
- Keep Brown Sugar Soft -Adding some lemon peel (with traces of pulp and pith removed) to your brown sugar can help keep it moist and easy to use.
- Whitener and Stronger Nails –Whiten and strengthen fingernails by rubbing with a lemon wedge every night before bed time.
- Cleanses a stainless sink with Ease
- Freshen your Fridge –Place a lemon peel inside your fridge to absorb smells and bring a bright citrus scent. This works great because lemon peel has amazing absorption power.How to Eat a Lemon Peel
- Add some lemons in the freezer for a 3-4 hours. Then take them out and grate them. You can sprinkle the grated lemon peel on your meals or add in your drinks.
- Grind the lemon peel from fresh lemon without freezing and add the lemon peel pieces on your meals or in your drinks.
- Or you could just bite right into one.
- Grated lemon peels make a great addition to salads a
nd teas! They add amazing flavor to any meal !
How to pick a good Lemon:
- Heavier lemons will have the most mineral content and sugar thus thick skinned lemons will be lighter then thin skinned lemons and will have less sweetness and minerals.
- The ones with the most juice will have finely grained texture peels.
- Lemons should be fully yellow the ones with green tinges have not fully ripened and will be very acidic.
- Over ripe lemons will have a wrinkling look, have soft or hard patches and not be a colourful yellow.
- Lemons stay fresh kept at room temperature (not in sunlight) for about 7 to 10 days. Or store them in the refrigerator crisper for about four to five weeks.