Benefits of Dates has made this delicious fruit of the tropical regions of the world the most sought after foods in the world of health and nutrition.
A good source of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. All dates, fresh or dried, contain different types of antioxidants.
Dates satisfy your sugar cravings and help boost energy, while managing blood sugar levels.
Dates have been a staple food of the Middle East and the Indus Valley for thousands of years. They’re a type of fruit derived from the date palm, (Phoenix dactylifera), a tree of the palm family, found in northern Africa, the Canary Islands, the Middle East, Pakistan, India and California.
There are hundreds of varieties of Phoenix dactylifera date palms, but one of the most famous is the large, soft Medjool date palm, which produces Medjool dates.
Date Fun Facts
- Date palms cover 3% of the earth’s cultivated surface. Four million tons are grown annually.
- The word “date” comes from the Greek word dactylos, meaning finger.
- December 22nd is National Date Nut Bread Day.
- A date pit almost 2000 years old was recently sprouted by Israeli researchers. An ancient variety thought to be extinct is back.
- The date palm is the national symbol for Israel and Saudi Arabia, representing vitality and growth.
- Very few people are allergic to this fruit.
- Date palm trees need at least 100 days of 100ºF heat and plenty of water to produce the best quality fruit.
- The bulk of US dates are grown in California’s Coachella Valley.
- There are more than 200 varieties of dates. Medjool is the hardest to grow and therefore one of the most expensive to buy.
Reference: Wikipedia facts about Dates
Medjool Dates- Royally Delicious
Medjool dates known as “the king of fruits and are a fresh fruit. The “fruit of kings” were originally reserved exclusively for royalty but are now available all year round for everyone.
These dates have a rich, almost caramel-like taste and a soft, chewy texture whereas regular dates, commonly called Deglet Noor, are usually smaller and have a firm flesh and a sweet, delicate flavor.
Medjool dates will be expensive, mostly because growing and harvesting medjool dates is so labor-intensive.
These fresh dates will keep at room temperature for about 45 days. When stored in the refrigerator, they’re good for up to 6 months. Frozen dates keep for up to a year. Dried dates can be refrigerated for a year, or frozen for as long as 5 years.
Deglet Noor Dates or Medjool Dates
There are many varieties of dates available worldwide, but the Medjool date is one of two of the most commercially produced varieties. The other most commonly produced is the Deglet Noor (or Nour) date, which is what many people consider a “regular date.”
Medjools are larger, softer and sweeter. Medjool dates nutrition is very similar to regular dates. Both are rich sources of fiber, vitamins and minerals. They also both contain significant amounts of natural sugar, but since they are low on the glycemic index they don’t affect blood sugar levels like refined sugars.
Medjools and regular dates can be used interchangeably in recipes, but Medjools do have a sweeter, richer flavor so keep that in mind. Deglet Noor dates also tend to have a firmer consistency.
Benefits of Dates
Here are 12 reasons of eating dates:
- Dates are a source of antioxidants.
- Dates can be good for blood sugar balance.
- Including Dates in smaller quantities in your daily diet can help you keep a check on cholesterol level, and even assist in weight loss.
- If you are looking to load up on proteins. Adding some dates in your diet may help.
- Dates can help reduce blood pressure.
- They are loaded with potassium, and yet contain little sodium, and that goes a long way in keeping your nervous system in order.
- Dates are rich in vitamins such as B1, B2, B3 and B5, as well as A1 and C. If you have a few dates every day, you won’t have to take vitamin supplements.
- It is also rich in Iron and great for blood purification as well.
- Dates contain a brain booster.
- It can do wonders for your bone health too.
- Due to it’s high fibre content, it is recommended for those who have trouble with constipation.
- The vitamins C and D work on your skin’s elasticity, and also keeps your skin smooth.
To conclude there are many benefits of Dates. So you should include this as quick snack when you are feeling lethargic or sluggish to help bump up energy levels fast.
Benefits of Dates for Men Health
- A drink in which Milk is processed with dates is known as Vrishya ksheera or aphrodisiac milk. It is very useful for men with impotence.
- Palm sugar milk or Kharjura sharkara ksheera is a very good recipe to boost strength, increase libido and nourish recuperating patients. This recipe increases sperm count and helps in erectile dysfunction.
- Chop around 15 fresh dates mix it with 10 tea spoons of ghee. Add a pinch of ginger powder, cardamom powder and few strands of saffron. Store this in a jar and do not refrigerate it. Consume 1 tea spoon of this in early morning.
Healthy Homemade Granola Breakfast Recipe which is also rich in fiber and iron, and adding nuts and seeds makes it a heart-healthy unsaturated fats and some protein.