Skipping breakfast is not a healthy habit. It can lead to mood swings and irritability. Ayurveda suggests breaking the night long fast with fruits and nuts to kickstart your day.
Ayurveda On Skipping Breakfast
Ayurveda says fasting causes imbalance of pitta, vata, and kapha dosha. The imbalance in doshas brings mood swings and irritability. This unsettled emotion brings fatigue, unhappiness through the day. So, always start your day with a healthy nourishing breakfast.
If you have been skipping breakfast habitually, it’s time to introspect and make changes in your daily habits for a better health and well-being.
Ayurveda suggests that the first food in the morning to break the fast is to have a fruit or nuts or something that is very light and easy on your digestive system.
There are many other options for healthy breakfast that you can kickstart your day for an energetic and joyful day.
Ayurveda Breakfast Recipes:
- Dried figs and raisins- soak them the night before or simmer with a little water for about half an hour.
- Dates with a small dab of ghee (clarified butter) replacing the pit.
- Chapati with raw honey and warm milk.
- Oatmeal with raisins and chopped almonds.
- Thandai powder mixed with a warm milk.
- Stewed Apples and Pears- Take 1 apple, 1 pear, 1 tbsp raisins, 1 clove, and 1/4 cup water. Peel and chop fruit into small pieces. Add water, raisins, clove and bring to boil. Then cook on low heat for about 20 minutes or till the fruit changes into tender consistency. Have this warm healthy breakfast.
- Hot cereals like “Dalia”- Add a tbsp each of roasted broken wheat, split gram, rice, sesame seeds with half tsp of carom seeds and salt to your taste. Add water in double amount (or a little more based on consistency that you want). Pressure cooks or simmer for about 30 minutes or till it gets tender. Have it warm.
You can also have fresh fruit juices like the blend of fresh carrot, cilantro and zucchini, or fresh sweet grape, apple, or pear juice. However, avoid having orange juice on an empty stomach as it is too acidic. Also, your juice should be at room temperature or a little cool. Never make it ice-cold.