Poppy Seeds Benefits In Ayurveda
Poppy seeds have a cooling effect on the body. In summers it’s best to include this in your diet. It used to be grandma’s home remedy to include khus khus ka sharbat to beat the heat.
The Sanskrit name for poppy is Khaskhas Phala. It is commonly known by various names such as white poppy, aphium and posta. Its botanical name is Papaver somniferum. Seeds and flowers of this herb are used for medicinal purposes.
In Ayurveda, Poppy seeds can treat various health conditions. It has various medicinal properties such as aphrodisiac, analgesic, calmative, bactericidal, demulcent, expectorant, emollient, hypotensive, hemostat, hypnotic, nervine, narcotic, sedative and anodyne. Thus, poppy has various benefits in medicines.
Poppy seeds or Khus khus, is rich in omega -6 fatty acids and dietary fibers and trace minerals: manganese (1 tablespoon – 8 % manganese), calcium, thiamine, various phytochemicals and Vitamin B. Makes for healthy red blood cells, so great for those with a low haemoglobin. Aids the brain, combined with oxygen and iron (in them)
Khus Khus has a high level of calcium, iodine, magnesium and copper that helps in maintaining a healthy nervous system. Calcium along with other minerals in the right balance in Khus Khus contributes to the development and health of the nervous system.
Here Are 10 Benefits Of Poppy Seeds:
- Digestion – Poppy seeds are loaded with insoluble fiber, which may improve gut health and reduce constipation.
- Insomnia – 30 grams of poppy seeds mixed in milk with sugar can be taken for relief from insomnia.
- Burning Sensation – Poppy roots paste can be rubbed externally on skin to get relief from burning sensation.
- Joints Pain – Poppy is beneficial for relief from problems like rheumatism, gout and arthritis.
- Sedative- In the medieval period, poppy seeds were widely used as sedatives. It was used in milk, opium or a mixture of honey to calm crying babies, aid in sleeping and also improve fertility issues in women.
- Aids in Mouth Ulcers- Since they have a cooling effect in the body, they can aid mouth ulcers usually a result of body heat.
- Fights Thyroid: Zinc present in poppy is very helpful in curing thyroid. Zinc present in the poppy seeds acts as a boon for thyroid glands and regulates the functioning of the thyroid.
- Skin Remedies- Poppy seeds contain linoleic acid that helps in skin inflammation and it’s a great rescue for Eczema. Just soak the khus khus seeds in milk or water. Then grind them with some lemon juice to form a smooth paste. Lime juice mixed in poppy seeds paste gives relief from dry itching.
- Boost female fertility- Poppy seeds play a pivotal role in boosting female fertility. They are known to remove mucus from the fallopian tubes and aid in achieving pregnancy. They also enhance sexual desire and improve sexual health by boosting the libido.
- Bone Strength-Poppy seeds help in improving bone health as they are rich in copper and calcium. The manganese in the seeds helps in the production of the protein collagen that protects the bones from severe damage.
How do you eat Khas Khas?
Along with curries, khus khus is also added to the famous Indian drink – Thandai. It can be made into halwa, khus khus sharbat. These poppy seeds have tons of health benefits along with a nutty taste. They are well known for a comforting, cooling, and calming effect. You may try Khus Khus Halwa Recipe