Understanding Gallbladder Role in our Lives
Gallbladder has a very important part to play in the digestion of fatty food we eat. However, when stones develop in the gallbladder, they not only hamper with its work but also cause near to intolerable pain.
As the golden words go- Prevention is always better than cure. Don’t let these gall stones develop at the first place.
How you can Prevent Gall Bladder Stones?
By drinking lots of water, exercising daily, eating healthy fiber rich food and most important by avoiding junk food (that is essentially fatty rich food).
However, some causes like excessive estrogen hormone and hereditary reasons can’t be prevented. And if you are one who suffer from gall bladder stones due to these reasons, there is only one way out- gallbladder treatment!
But before you decide for surgery, Ayurveda recommends certain lifestyle changes and natural remedies for gallbladder stones. If the gallstones are small enough, they can dissolve and you can get rid of painful experiences without going in for any surgery.
Lifestyle Changes to get rid of Gallstones
Foods to Eat:
- In case of acute attack, the patient should be on a diet of fluids, juices, food with no oil, lots of water-rich vegetables such as bottle gourd, ridge gourd, cucumber, lots of fruits like apple and grapes, and thin vegetable soups.
- Vegetables which are particularly beneficial are carrots, beetroot and pear.
- Include some spices in your diet like turmeric, ginger and garlic.
- Other herbs that have been used by herbalists around the globe include artichoke leaves and milk thistle.
- Maintain optimum hydration level. Most people who have attacks of gall bladder pain are those who may be getting low levels of water which upsets the acid-alkali balance. At least 2 liters of water should be consumed per day.
- Other foods which benefit are Alfa-Alfa sprouts (very powerful alkalinizer), B-complex vitamins, vitamin E capsules, mulethi (licorice).
Foods to Avoid:
- nce most gall bladder stones are composed of cholesterol, it is important to restrict cholesterol sources like dairy product (milk, curd, cheese, paneer, butter, ghee and chocolates), red meat, chicken etc.
- Avoid or reduce foods like tea, coffee, thick gravies, processed foods and foods with preservatives.
- Avoid fat loaded and fried food.
- Avoid or cut down smoking as it upsets the acid-alkali balance due to high Hydrogen ion concentration.
- Drink 8-10 glasses of water every day
- To relieve the pain of gallstone colic application of hot packs or fermentation to the upper abdominal area should be done. A warm water enema at body temperature will also help eliminate faucal accumulations if the patient is constipated.
- One should practice following yogasanas daily for effective treatment and prevention of Gallstones: Vajrasana, The Knee to Chest (Pawanmuktasan), The Lotus (Padma Asana), sarvangasana, paschimotasana, dhanurasana, mayurasana, shalabhasana and bhujangasana
Natural Remedies Gallbladder Stones
- Mix 3 tablespoons of olive oil with lemon or grapefruit juice and drink before breakfast and before bedtime. This treatment often helps eliminate stones in the stool.
- Combine equal amounts of tinctures of wild yam, fringetree bark, milk thistle, and balmony, and take a teaspoonful of the blend several times a day.
- Drinking chamomile or lemon balm tea is also helpful.
- Apple Juice and Apple Cider Vinegar
- Take 1 glass of apple juice
- Add 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar
- Mix well
- Drink once everyday
- Pear Juice and Honey:
- Take ½ glass of hot water
- Add ½ glass of pear juice
- Add 2 tbsp of honey
- Mix well
- Drink 3 times a day
- Beetroot, Cucumber and Carrot:
- Take raw beet juice
- Add an equal amount of cucumber juice
- Add an equal amount of carrot juice
- Mix them all
- Drink 2 times a day
These remedies are based on the principles of Ayurveda, the ancient Indian science of healing, and are completely natural, non-invasive, and can be prepared at home. Consult your doctor if the symptoms persist.
Learn More About the Ayurveda Perspective on Gallbladder Disorders