Gall Bladder Disorder as per Ayurveda, also known as PRATISHYAYA is mainly due to vitiation of DOSHAS (Vata, Pitta & Kapha).
Let’s Understand Gall Bladder Disorder
The gall bladder stores bile, a digestive fluid that the liver produces, which is required to help digest dietary fats in the small intestine. Normally, the acidic bile prevents cholesterol from becoming too concentrated. However, if too much cholesterol is present in the bile, it crystallizes in the gall bladder, forming gallstones. Gallstones that remain in the gall bladder typically produce no symptoms. If a gallstone exits the gall bladder, it can cause pain and other symptoms.
Gallstones usually begin producing symptoms when they obstruct the duct that leads from the liver to the gall bladder or the duct that leads from the gallbladder to the small intestine. Once lodged in one of these ducts, the stones may produce painful spasms and inflammation at the site of the obstruction.
Symptoms of Gallstone Disease
Symptoms of gallbladder disease occur when gallstones irritate the gallbladder. The most common symptoms associated with gallstone disease include:
- Severe and intermittent pain in the right upper abdomen. This pain can also spread to the chest, shoulders or back. Sometimes this pain may be mistaken for a heart attack.
- Chronic indigestion and nausea.
- Fever or chills
- Chronic diarrhea
- Unusual stools or urine
Ayurvedic Treatment for Gallstones / Gall Bladder Disorder
Ayurveda views gallstones as a kapha disorder of slow metabolism, including a sluggish liver.
- Ayurvedic medicines like Arogyavardhini Vati, which boosts up metabolic activity of liver, is very useful in treating gallstones.
- Other Ayurvedic medicines useful in treating gallstones include kumariasava, hingvaastak choorna, panchkola choorna, avipattikar choorna, kamadoodha rasa, sootsekar rasa, pravaalpanchaamrit, gokhshurasava, punarnavarista.
- Panchakarma therapies like virechana, basti, are also very helpful.
- Effective Ayurvedic herbs for treating gallstones include bhringaraj, punanarnava, bhumiamla, kalamegha, ginger, cumin seeds, katuki, kiryata, parpati, pashanabheda, katukarohini, etc.
Ayurveda recommends certain Lifestyle Changes and Natural Home Remedies for Gall bladder Stones