|Jamun or Black Plum Juicy and Delicious Summer Fruit|
Jamun or Black plum is an important summer fruit, associated with many health and medicinal benefits. Jamun is known by different names such as jambul, jambas, jamun, jambolan, rajaman, kala jamun, neredu, naval, nerale, jamali, java plum, black plum and blackberry. The jamun fruit has a sweet and sour flavor and is known to be quite astringent, although this taste can vary depending on when you pick the fruit from.
Jamun Health Benefits
- Jamun Benefits in Diabetes
Black Plum fruit and its leaves are good for diabetic patients. The black plum has anti-diabetic features. The fruit helps to convert starch into energy and keep your blood sugar levels in check. In the summer season, the sugar patient should eat Black Plum regularly because of its low glycemic index. It reduces the symptoms of diabetes like frequent urination and thrusting. The extract of bark, seeds, and leaves are too beneficial in the treatment of diabetes.Note: Since, jamun lowers blood sugar; therefore, one should not eat jamun before and after two weeks of surgery.
- Benefits for beauty and fair skin
With plenty of vitamin A, vitamin E, and other antioxidants, this fruit can improve the appearance of the skin by reducing oxidative stress and lowering inflammation levels.
- Jamun seeds are used as an effective agent to treat acne. First of all crush the jamun seeds and mix cow milk to it. Apply the paste before going to bed and wash it in the morning. Regular application of these ingredients is helpful in curing and treating of acne.
- The problem of oily skin is controlled with the mix of jamun pulp, barley flour, amla juice and rose water. Use this mix as face mask and wash when it gets dry.
- To control dark spots from your face, the paste of jamun seed powder, lemon powder, gram flour, few drops of almond oil and rose water, is prepared. Apply it on your face and wash it when it dries off.
- Jamun cures leucoderma after stimulating the melanin.
- Jamun to increase haemoglobin
Black Plum has adequate amount of iron and vitamin C. The presence of iron in the black plum is good to increase the haemoglobin count. The fruit’s iron content acts as blood purifying agent.
- Boosts Immune System
- Jamun Benefits in Diabetes
There is a good amount of vitamin C and other antioxidants in this fruit, which can help to stimulate the production of white blood cells and increase the strength of the immune system.
- Jamun for healthy heart
Regular consumption of jamun fruit or juice will help with high blood pressure, as the fruit contains notable levels of potassium, which is a vasodilator and reduces your risk of atherosclerosis and heart attacks.
- Jamun leaves treat ulcers
Chewing and eating of jamun leaves are good in treating of diarrhea and ulcers.
- Aids Weight Loss
- Jamun for healthy heart
Some people use jamun to lose weight, as the high fiber content satiates and optimized digestion.
- Jamun good for Digestive Issues
Jamun is good in prevention of liver diseases such as necrosis and fibrosis. Due to presence of bio-chemical and phytochemical substance like polyphenol, the black plum acts like as anti-cancer substance. Jamun solves acidity when it is taken along with roasted cumin powder and black salt.
Note: Eating of jamun empty stomach should be avoided. Milk shouldn’t be taken after eating jamun.
- Jamun for oral health
The black plum leaves are antibacterial properties and are used for strengthening teeth and gum. The leaves are astringent, considered good for throat problems. The decoction of the bark is used to wash mouth and beneficial for mouth ulceration due to its astringent effect. It is good for mouth as well as for teeth due to its acidity. Gargling of its bark helps in prevention of gums bleeding (gingivitis). Jamun leaves powder, which is obtained after drying and burning it, used as teeth powder and helpful in checking gum infection and bleeding.
Jamun Juice Benefits in Summer
Black Plum juice has many health and medicinal benefits. Being a seasonal fruit, one should try to have more and more amount of Black Plum juice during the month of June, July and August.
Some of the amazing and surprising health benefits of Jamun juice are given below.
- It is used to treat digestive disorders such as diarrhoea
- This juice along with curd is good against digestive problems.
- Teeth related problems can be solved by applying black Plum juice or by drinking it.
- Jamun juice is beneficial in treating of piles.
- Drinking of the fresh fruit juice helps in cough and asthma.
- Jamun juice enhances your immune system.
- It protects you from cold and acts as anti-aging agent.
Medicinally, jamun is used in a number of ways, as a juice, in its raw fruit form, and in the form of an extract (from the bark, leaves, and seeds). The leaves are also used in salads, and as a poultice, while the juice and raw fruits are used in a number of culinary applications, namely desserts an
d in fruit juices/smoothies.
Jamun Vinegar Benefits
- Jamun Vinegar helps to improve appetite and acts as stomach tonic. It increases the production of gastric juices and helps in the digestion. Its carminative action helps to combat with flatulence and intestinal gas and abdominal distention. It also has mild diuretic action, which helps to manage the dysuria (painful or difficult urination).
- It is also recommended for diabetic patients to manage the hyperglycemia.
- It also acts as antibacterial, so it can inhibit the growth of many microbes involving in the occurrence of infections. Due to this property, it is indicated in urinary tract infections.
- Road side jamun should be avoided as it may be contaminated from lead and heavy metals.
- Pregnant as well as breast-feeding mother should avoid jamun.
- Eating of excess jamun leads to body ache and fever. Excessive eating of it is also not good for throat and chest.
- Heavy dose of jamun may cause cough and accumulation of sputum in the lungs.
- Jamun enhances vata dosha, so people with high vata should avoid it.