If you are the natural wellness person and like to adopt natural ways to stay healthy, then this natural toothpaste based on Ayurveda wisdom is surely a best alternative to products marketed with the potential of toxicity.
DIY Ayurvedic Natural Toothpaste
Natural toothpaste prepared at home is free of any side effects and delivers both preventive and therapeutic benefits to help maintain good oral health.
Natural Ingredients to Make Natural Toothpaste at Home
Coconut oil, which has natural antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, and antifungal properties. Coconut oil fights the fungal infection caused by Candida albicans. It also protects the teeth against cavities and is readily available.
The alkaline nature of baking soda neutralizes the pH of the oral cavity. This chemical also has mild abrasive properties to remove stains from teeth.
The alkaline property of sea salt makes it a good ingredient of a natural toothpaste.
Guar gum is a type of pea plant that is available in powdered form and acts as a thickening agent. It also keeps the other ingredients in the toothpaste stable.
The mixture won’t necessarily taste great, so add a drop of edible essential oil: cinnamon, bergamot, peppermint and cloves are all fresh and tasty.
Neem tree twigs
Prickly-ash bark is a sialagogue (promotes salivation) and is used to alleviate toothache. Neem tree twigs are often used as a toothbrush – they’re bitter but antibacterial and freshen the breath.
Safe whitening agents for home-made toothpaste
Turmeric, which exhibits tooth whitening properties and also contributes to the remineralization process; it helps in combating gum problems
- Bentonite clay, which is high in minerals and has alkaline properties which help to balance the acidic pH of the mouth.
- Calcium and magnesium powder which enhance the process of remineralization.
Steps to Make your Natural Toothpaste
- Take one tablespoon baking soda
- Add a tablespoon of natural salt
- Add two tablespoon of coconut oil
- Add two drops of essential oil
- Mix all the ingredients well to get a smooth texture. This preparation forms basic toothpaste; however, to prepare whitening toothpaste, whitening ingredients (e.g. turmeric) must be added in minute proportions. Also, the proportion of abrasive agents (e.g. baking soda or diatomaceous earth) must be kept low to prevent tooth enamel damage.
Recipe to Make Ayurvedic Natural Tooth Powder
- 1 tbsp of equal parts neem leaf powder and holy basil powder.
- 1 tbsp mixture of the powdered herbs of sage, peppermint, clove, and cinnamon.
- 1 tbsp spirulina
- pinch of rock salt or sea salt
Steps to follow
- Take 1 tbsp of neem leaf powder and holy basil (tulsi) leaf powder in a mixing bowl.
- Make 1 tbsp of a fine mixture of these herbal powders: sage, peppermint, clove, and cinnamon.
- Add the above-prepared powder to the mixing bowl along with tulsi and neem powder.
- Now add about a 1 tbsp of spirulina and finely ground sea salt or rock salt into this mixture.
- Mix all the powders thoroughly and voila! Your Ayurvedic tooth powder is ready.
- Store this mixture in a clean airtight container.
Directions For Use
Take a little measure of this tooth powder into your hand. Dip your toothbrush into water and after that, touch the powder with the bristles of your toothbrush and massage your teeth in the usual way, brushing gently.
Learn About 5 AYURVEDIC ORAL HYGIENE TIPS