Ayurveda experts have stressed that medicinal herbs such as amla, giloy, shilajit and neem are helpful in strengthening the immune system which is key to fighting the deadly coronavirus.
Amla, Indian Gooseberry
The Amalaki plant, as it is called in Sanskrit, is called Indian Gooseberry in English, Amla in Hindi. Amalaki is considered one of the most potent and nourishing. The Charaka Samhita says, “Amalaki is the best among rejuvenating herbs.” Amla juice is a healthy drink as it is a storehouse of vitamin C and other nutrients which provide an array of health and beauty benefits.
Amla is an Immunity Booster and Can Protect Against Coronavirus
Amla has always been popular as a powerful home remedy for treating cold and flu. It is rich in vitamin C, which boosts the production of white blood cells (WBC) in the body that help in fighting several infections and diseases. Alongside, amla is also rich in iron, calcium and several other minerals, which make it a complete nutritional fruit.
Minerals and vitamins such as carotene, phosphorus, calcium, iron and vitamin B complex; makes amla a powerful antioxidant.
It protects against oxidative stress by eliminating free radicals.
It fortifies our liver, strengthens your lung, nourishes your brain, improves muscle tone, improves your urinary system and balances stomach acids.
In fact, according to Ayurveda, regular consumption of amla juice promotes longevity. It is regarded as the juice of immortality or the magic potion which keeps you young and fit.
Drinking amla juice twice a day can do wonders for your body and skin. It not only improves the appearance of your skin but also helps maintain proper body functions. It also makes your hair grow stronger.
Apart from these super benefits,
- It also acts as a shield against radiation by protecting you against the harmful UV rays.
- amla juice wards off bad breath and strengthens teeth.
- Gargling with a mixture of water and amla juice can provide relief from painful mouth ulcers.
- The anti-inflammatory properties in amla juice help in reducing the swelling in the joints caused by arthritis.
- Relieve stress & cure sleep disorders like insomnia. (All you need to do is take fresh amla juice with a mixture of coarse powder of nutmeg; and experience a sound and peaceful sleep.)
- Regular intake of amla juice helps in improving eyesight and counters problems like reddening, itching and watering of eyes.
- Amla juice taken with turmeric powder and honey helps in controlling diabetes.
- Drinking amla juice with honey twice daily can relieve asthma and bronchitis complications.
- Amla juice can cure obesity by increasing protein levels which in turn helps in reducing unwanted fat. It has the ability to create a positive nitrogen balance. It reduces the cholesterol levels, thus minimizing the risk of heart attacks.
- Amla juice helps in relieving constipation caused due to piles. It also regulates the bowel movements and cures chronic constipation.
- If you have acidity problems, you can take amla juice with pure ghee everyday twice a day.
- Amla juice acts as a blood purifier by flushing out toxins from the body.
How to Prepare Amla Juice at Home?
It is quite simple to prepare amla juice at home. Though it is usually sweetened by adding sugar, you can also add a little jaggery or brown sugar, salt and pepper to the drink to get a different taste. You can also flavor it with a little cardamom powder.
1 cup Amla (Indian Gooseberry), cut into pieces
A pinch of salt
A pinch of cardamom powder (optional) for a glass of amla juice
- Wash and dry the amlas and place them in a bowl.
- Adding 1 ½ cup of water to the pressure cooker, place the bowl in it. Cover the pressure cooker with its lid and light the stove.
- Switch off the stove after one whistle. Remove the bowl from the stove when there is no pressure in the cooker.
- Now gently touch the gooseberry to see if it has cooled down. Press the amlas with in between your fingers to break them into pieces and remove the seeds.
- Grind sugar into fine powder.
- Grind the amla pieces. If you find it difficult to grind them, add some sugar powder and then grind them.
- To prepare the amla juice concentrate, mix the amla paste with sugar powder and salt.
- You can place this concentrate in a freezer safe box and store it in the freezer.
- You can add 2 to 3 spoons of this concentrate to a glass of water whenever you require amla juice. You can add some cardamom powder and stir well.
- This juice concentrate can be stored in the freezer for 8 months or more. However, it changes color over time.
- Since amlas are slightly bitter in taste, you can initially cook them in water. This will make them soft as well as ward off the bitter taste.
Preservation of Amla Juice:
To preserve amla juice, ensure that the quantity of the juice is equal to the capacity of the jar. For instance, 500 grams of amla juice should be stored in a 500 grams capacity glass or a plastic container. Add 2 tablespoons of sodium lactate and mix well. This juice can be preserved in the refrigerator for 8 to 10 months. Sodium lactate is easily available at a chemist or any store that sells food chemicals.